Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Wine: Lamblin Bourgogne Blanc


A few nights ago, I had the chance to share some wine with friends. A glass of white Burgundy was left over, and so this early afternoon I sat on the porch and finished it off. As I thought about it, a hawk landed on a railing not fifty feet from me. It saw me as it landed and simply stared in my direction. Until then, I had never seen a hawk in Seattle.

Hawks, to some, symbolize wisdom and are observant, perceptive messengers from a spirit world. As the hawk left, I found myself remembering the night before, thinking about my good friend Tommy. Tommy is a little Cambodian guy who once said of the Carolina tobacco industry, "I smoke cigarettes faster than those bastards can make 'em." Hyperbole, perhaps, but not by much.

Last night, he eyed a glass of Lamblin Bourgogne Blanc suspiciously after hearing only that it is made of Chardonnay. He surprised me by picking the glass up by the base, gently swirling it, tasting and then saying, "They treated this grape with respect: its minerals, its floral scents are nourished and cherished by these guys. They knew not to give it too much oak." Well said, Tommy. Tommy, it turns out, spent years working for a wine distributor.

The Lamblin smells distinctly of pears, has a great mineral quality, and a rather pale straw color. White Burgundys this good probably shouldn't cost $10/bottle, but they do.

Value: 4.0
Color & Clarity: 3.5
Bouquet: 3.5
Flavor: 3.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home