Sunday, April 03, 2005

Wine: Ajello Majus Nero d'Avola

Less is more. Simplicity is the soul of efficiency. Inherent complexity is orthogonal to actual complexity. Etcetera. All of this is my way of saying that you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch over wines with impressively long and unfamiliar names.

Ajello, an Italian wine producer relatively famous for white wine, makes a wonderfully straightforward wine from the grape Nero d'Avola. The designation for the wine is Majus. While "Ajello Majus Nero d'Avola" is a mouthful, there's nothing too complicated about the name of the wine or even the wine itself. If you're still raising an eyebrow, try this on: the wine is fantastic and it goes for ten bucks a bottle.

This Nero d'Avola is a beautiful solution to a complicated problem: which wine should you serve to a group of people who may have widely varying tastes? There isn't anything offensive in this wine: no overt oak, no unfamiliar colors, no funky textures, no hint of vegetables. Even the bottle is understated. I'll say it again: it costs $10.

An entry on CellarTracker hit it on the head when it used the phrase "ripe fruit" to describe the bouquet. You know that part of your brain that lights up when it smells ripe fruit? Yeah, that part is going to be woken up by this wine. The wine is acidic enough to give you that great "my thirst is being quenched" feeling. When you lick your lips after a sip, you'll taste that fruit again.

Value: 4.0
Color & Clarity: 3.0
Bouquet: 3.5
Flavor: 3.5

...a quote on complexity:
When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only of how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.
(R. Buckminster Fuller)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks,
This is the kind of tip we like to chase (my wife and I) and with spring int he air this sounds like fun. We'll come back with a report!


zinc

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding long and unfamiliar names and even tough problems, It sometimes pays to simply acquiesce and enjoy

2:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you. This is an incredible wine. The Sicilian varietal d'Avola is a really great variety of grape. I've had this wine a few times at Valentini's in duluth, MN. Do you know where I can buy this wine?

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home